Connecting alu macbook to sony lcd tv for 1080p

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Narco220, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Narco220 macrumors regular

I bought the mini display to dvi adaptor for my new alu mackbook 2.4 then connected it up to a dvi to hdmi cable, now connected to my sony 40v3000 1080p lcd tv.

Problem im having is i can only view it at 1024 x 768 resolution on the tv, when i should be able to view it at 1920 x 1080p?

None of the other resolutions seem to work in the display preferences.

Can anyone help out?

2. Apple all life macrumors 6502

When they are both connected go to system preferences > displays and there will be 2 windows, one on macbook and one on tv. Change the resolution on the tv then. I have the same set up only with a 1080i 19 inch.

3. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that before with no success,
    Its strange that my tv will only accept 1024 x 768 60Hz resolution from my macbook

I have a ps3 connected to the same tv showing at 1080p with no problems.

this is very anoying after spending £40 on the adaptor and cable :mad:

4. Apple all life macrumors 6502

You have 2 hdmi cables hooked up? I also have a ps3 but only 1 hdmi hook up. So I switch them when I need to.

5. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh and it seems that macbook just ain't sending the right signal for 1080p:mad:

6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

thats odd.

i connect my mb to the tv with 1080p problem.

do you have mirroring on by any chance?
    have you tried it with the MB closed and only the tv as the display?

7. tvp macrumors member

It should allow you to get the 1080 with no problems (well actually the top menu bar is cut off a little but I can pretty much see everything). What kind of TV do you have? I have my MacBook hooked up to a 32" LG HDTV and it gave me the option right away. Also do you have it set in mirrored or extended? When you press display on your MacBook and the display option comes up on your TV do you have any addition resolutions that aren't showing on the MacBook?

8. Narco220 thread starter macrumors regular

Its a sony bravia 40v3000 1080p hdtv and yes i have tried it in extended and mirrored.

I do get a list of resolutions when the tv is connected but can only get a picture when set at 1024 x 768 anything above that and its a blank screen :mad:

9. JanettC macrumors newbie

I would look at the category and version of your HDMI Cable. Take a look at the description of this cable in the link below.

http://www.cablegiant.com/Default.aspx?p_id=4&Product_id=63

You will need a 1.3a Category 2 HDMI cable to get 1080P. Take a look at the specifications of your cable. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be I had a older version of HDMI so regardless of the equipment the cable was limited and would only get me 1080i.