Connecting an Airport Express to an already existing network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twostepJON!, Feb 19, 2009.

1. twostepJON! macrumors newbie

My family use Dell computers and we all feed off the same router which is Linksys. Although, what happens is because of the location of the linksys router, my signal comes and goes weekly. I was wondering if I were to purchase an Airport Express, would I be able to use is as an extender/booster with the existing network that I already have? If I cannot do that, would i still be able to use the Airport Express and have it dedicated to just my computer? and if so, how do i go about doing that?

Thanks!

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Yes it can be done, but it's a bit difficult (at least to me) on the setup.

I have two airport extreme routers, and adding the second one (wired to the first) was not a simple thing - had to go through apple tech support to get it done, there were several technical changes I had to do in the advanced setup are, it was definitely not plug and play. I didn't want two different networks, wanted to expand the wireless coverage and also hook up wired devices to the 2nd device.

I'm not a mac networking guru so maybe others would have found the process easier, but I was able to get it done.

3. twostepJON! thread starter macrumors newbie

That's good to know. But you were connecting to another airport express. Im connecting to a linksys router. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a difference because a router is a router but i still appreciate the feedback :)

4. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Using the Express as an extender/booster is what's known as a WDS network. AFAIK, this can only be done with a collection of Apple Airport base stations. The handshake and configuration between the two routers is complicated (they broadcast separate SSIDs but are part of the same Network. One router handles all the DHCP addressing). It *might* work with some 3rd party routers but don't hold your breath, esp with Linksys. :rolleyes:

The other mode which you CAN use is Bridge Mode. Your Express basically joins the existing wireless network as any client would. This allows for use of AirTunes and Bonjour printer sharing on your Network. It also makes the Ethernet jack serve up access to the Network.

Designing Wireless Networks is always a handy support document.