Connecting an eMac to Wireless

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Washac, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

OK, I have an Airport card in my eMac.

My eMac sees it OK.

I have an iMac connected to a wireless router.

My eMac sees the router, but when I type in the password to connect I get a cannot establish connection error.

THERE IS AN ERROR JOINING THE AIRPORT NETWORK " xxxxxxxxxxxxxx " (xxxxxxx being the name of my router.

Just realised that even though the eMac sees the router it is getting no signal, all lines in airport icon in Menu Bar are grey and not black as when there is a signal of some strength.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Is this the first time you've connected that computer to your router? Was a PC connected before, by any chance? Sounds to me like a configuration issue, call up your ISP, and let them give you the mac configurations over the phone.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

The eMac has never been connected to said router.

The Router is working fine with my iMac.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Is your iMac plugged in the same router? If so you'll need to reconfigure the router to allow two machines to access the internet.

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hmm, plug what in ? Its all wireless.

Other people come round and just pick up my connection put in the WEP password and they connect online. So dont get the bit about setting for two machines.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I was saying that because I experienced a similar problem when I wanted to wirelessly access the internet over the same router that already serviced another machine. In my example it was a case of re-configuring the router to allow two connections, so I suggested the possibility of it to you (that was prior to knowing that other secondary machines can connect find over wireless in your case).
    I still think your best bet would be to phone up the ISP though, and ask them about it. Your mac is picking up the signal, so somehow I doubt the problem spawns from the emac.
    Good luck resolving the issue.

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for your help :)