Connecting an external drive to the router?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hojoon0724, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

Hi guys..
    I want to make my external hard drive to be accessible from multiple machines on my wireless network.

I know there is a Western Digital World Edition HDD that allows me to do that but I already have few big drives and I bought them very very cheap.

So, does anyone know an adaptor that I can use to plug in my usb/firewire HDD to the router as a LAN?

Thanks in advance

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

You need a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. You can go as expensive as you want for them. Always read reviews on them and check the throughout rates, external sockets, AFP (Apple Filing Protocol, you want this for Macs) etc. You'll also want one with gigabit ethernet not just 100MB.

3. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

isn't there a cheaper way to do it?
    also, i have 3 external hard drives.
    it seems that most models are designed as a hdd enclosure

I only need 2 usb ports and a modem that lets me access my data wirelessly

sort of like time capsule or the usb port on airport extreme

is there anything like what i'm describing in under 50 bucks?

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

one at $100 that comes to mind, Belkin Network USB hub would do what you want. just not at the right price.

quick search at amazon came up with a Linksys that has 2 usb ports and might do what you want.

problem i see is around your current price range, it's going to be slow wireless, or 10/100 network speed which could get old fast if you are moving much back and forth. best of luck.