Connecting an Imac G3 to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i-retard, Aug 16, 2010.

1. i-retard macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently picked up an imac G3 running on panther. it is my first mac and I know NOTHING at all about them. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to set up the internet in computer. I have connected the imac to the router via Ethernet cable. any help appreciated

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If the G3 is running OS 9, you'll need to use the TCP/IP control panel to set it to receive its IP via DHCP, and put your router's address as the gateway and the DNS. (Bear in mind I'm working from memory here. It's been a while since I set up an OS 9 machine) You also might try running the Internet Setup Assistant.

FYI, you're going to have trouble finding a modern browser that will run on a system that old.

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

He mentioned he is running Panther (10.3). I have 2 G3 Blue and White towers running Panther, and they both do Internet very well.
    My main computers are a Core2Duo 2.8 GHZ and a Core i7 with four cores.
    It was very easy to set up. Just plug in the Ethernet cable & run the Internet Setup Assistant. That is all I had to do way back when.
    With my new machines, I just plugged in the Ethernet cable and they configured themselves.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

D'OH! :eek:

5. i-retard thread starter macrumors newbie