Connecting an iMac G4 (without an airport card) to a network

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by buddhaboy, May 9, 2010.

1. buddhaboy macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G4 (from probably 2002) without an airport card. I've passed it on to my son and want to be able to connect it to my network, but am not sure how to do this. Is there a USB stick that will somehow act as a wireless card that will read my network? (My network is: a DSL modem into Time Capsule) Any help would be much appreciated.

2. buddhaboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your swift reply! Much appreciated.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The original Aiport card and Airport Extreme cards are pretty cheap now a days if you don't want the hassle of finding USB sticks that are compatible so you don't have to install additional software/drivers. Some are plug-in-play that use the Airport drivers.

I think you need USB2.0 to get anything at least 802.11g speeds and if your iMac is from 2002, then it won't have USB2.0. It will also use the original Airport 802.11b card. The G4 iMacs that have DDR memory use the faster Airport Extreme 802.11g cards while the later had USB2.0.

I've seen either Airport cards going for the price as that USB wifi card listed above. Check around eBay for deals.