Connecting an Imac to a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cirdan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cirdan macrumors newbie

Ok, before anyone writes that this question has already been asked and answered, I have searched and trawled though threads for this question a number of different ways but haven't come up with any answers, yet. Googling this question comes up with some quite good answers and explanations but they are quite dated and hardware and software, as we all know, changes quite a lot over a short space of time. I've been a PC user for many years and consequently have a lot files spread over 850 Gigs + a 1 TB. external HD.
    When my new Imac arrives I would like to initially/transitionally be able to access my files, maybe some of my applications and all that HD space, through the Mac. I do have a network card in the PC and I have bought Parallels to be able to access windows stuff if and when I want to. Is it a simple matter of running a fire-wire connection between the Imac and the PC and using Parallels to see what is on the PC? Can anyone give me some idea how I may do this effectively please? I'm sure it's not quite as simple as it appears. I would rather not have to run a PC and an Imac side by side with no connection(except me of course) between them.I'm sure, in time I will be using less of the PC and considerably more of the Imac but I guess, initially, I'd like to access the best of both. Thank you in anticipation of constructive answers.

TC

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The two computers need only be on the same network. If they are connected to a common network, wirelessly or otherwise, they can share files. If you don't have a network, you can create a peer-to-peer network by simply connecting the two with an ethernet cable.

Beyond that, this article should help. While it is oldish, the process hasn't changed, except as mentioned in the article.

3. cirdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you BlueRevolution,

TC:)