Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon Marvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hi - I've been trying to find a way of simply connect an Ipad2 to a 24 inch cinema display.

I've searched this thread and the web but can find no simple way of doing this - in fact you would not believe how complicated it is - involving 4 connectors!

I think it would take the following adaptors:

1. Ipad2 female dock connector - this connects to:
2. Apple TV adaptor which provides two connectors:
a. Apple dock connector to usb for ipad2 power
b. Female hdmi connector
3.b Then connect a male hdmi to make MDP cable
4. The connect a female MDP to female MDP (see for examplehttp://www.amazon.com/Mini-Display-Port-Female-Coupler/dp/B003KQ6BMC )
5. Then connect to the male MDP that is directly connected to the 24 cinema display.

Is it really that difficult?:confused:

Any better suggestions would be most welcome.
cheers
Simon

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Hi - I've been trying to find a way of simply connect an Ipad2 to a 24 inch cinema display.

I've searched this thread and the web but can find no simple way of doing this - in fact you would not believe how complicated it is - involving 4 connectors!

I think it would take the following adaptors:

1. Ipad2 female dock connector - this connects to:
2. Apple TV adaptor which provides two connectors:
a. Apple dock connector to usb for ipad2 power
b. Female hdmi connector
3.b Then connect a male hdmi to make MDP cable
4. The connect a female MDP to female MDP (see for examplehttp://www.amazon.com/Mini-Display-Port-Female-Coupler/dp/B003KQ6BMC )
5. Then connect to the male MDP that is directly connected to the 24 cinema display.

Is it really that difficult?:confused:

Any better suggestions would be most welcome.
cheers
Simon

Even that's wishful thinking - I don't believe it will work. It's not meant to connect to every device out there.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You are just making it sound more complex than it is.

1 is just the iPad. Who ever counts that?

2a -- not needed if iPad is fully charged.

3~5 I don't know what exactly you are on about, but basically it sounds like what you need is a MDP to HDMI adapter. So you have, I believe, three cables/adapters:
(1) Apple TV adapter
(2) MDP to HDMI adapter
(3) The Cinema display cable

If you are using more components, then you didn't pick the right adapter for (2).

Last edited:

Simon Marvin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Even that's wishful thinking - I don't believe it will work. It's not meant to connect to every device out there.

Hi I don't think it will work either - reviews of the female to female MDP connector say it does not work.

But surely there should be a simpler way to do this?

----------

You are just making it sound more complex than it is.

1 is just the iPad. Who ever counts that?

2a -- not needed if iPad is fully charged.

3~5 I don't know what exactly you are on about, but basically it sounds like what you need is a MDP to HDMI adapter. So you have, I believe, three cables/adapters:
(1) Apple TV adapter
(2) MDP to HDMI adapter
(3) The Cinema display cable

If you are using more components, then you didn't pick the right adapter for (2).

OK agreed on points 1 and 2a. The tricky one is the MDP to HDMI.

In order to connect the female HDMI on the apple tv adapter to the male MDP cable on the cinema display I would need a "male HDMI to female MDP".

I cannot find such a cable - initially my local Apple store said it was possible - then looked into it and said it was not possible!

I'm very curious to know if anyone has been able to make this connection and whether it works?

thanks

mikieinarizona

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Connecting iPhone to Cinema Display 27" or 24"

In theory you could connect an iPad or iPhone to a Cinema Display with 4 adapters. The above postings are kind of correct.

I have not tried this, but in theory it should work when you start using 3 or 4 connectors things tend not to work. What you will need is:

1. 30-pin / Lighting (iPhone/iPad/iPod) to HDMI adapter
2. HDMI Coupler (Male to Male)
3. Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter
4. Mini Displayport Coupler (Female to Female)

5. Plug the Cinema Display into the female Mini Displayport Coupler

It would be nice if there was and adapter going from iPod to female Mini Displayport, but I don't think enough people try to do this.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
In theory you could connect an iPad or iPhone to a Cinema Display with 4 adapters. The above postings are kind of correct.

I have not tried this, but in theory it should work when you start using 3 or 4 connectors things tend not to work. What you will need is:

1. 30-pin / Lighting (iPhone/iPad/iPod) to HDMI adapter
2. HDMI Coupler (Male to Male)
3. Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter
4. Mini Displayport Coupler (Female to Female)

5. Plug the Cinema Display into the female Mini Displayport Coupler

It would be nice if there was and adapter going from iPod to female Mini Displayport, but I don't think enough people try to do this.

Don't bump old posts....

head4space

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
30 pin to VGA

According to the Amazon description the 24 inch Cinema Display has 3 VGA d-subs. You can therefore buy a 30pin dock connector to VGA adaptor for around £30. Grab yourself a VGA cable and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.