Connecting AppleTV , cable box and home theater

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Maggie85, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Maggie85 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I'm new here and I'm not a very techy person but I try! Anyways, I recently bought an Apple TV and I connected to my HDTV through an HDMI cable. However, I want the sound to come out through my Philips home theater. I currently have my TV connected to my Comcast HDcable box with an HDMI cable, and the cable box is connected to my home theater by using the red,yellow and white cables so the sound comes out from my home theater when I watch cable TV. I want the sound to come out from my home theater when I use the Apple TV as well but I don't know how since the AppleTV only has an HDMI port and an optical audio port. I know that there isn't a connection between the Apple TV and the home theater so that's why the sound is only coming from the TV speakers but how do I solve this situation. Do I have to buy anything? My home theater doesn't have an optical audio port so I don't know how to connect these 2 so that when I watch TV or AppleTV the sound can come out from the home theater. Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. I apologize if this has already been answered, if it has please send me the link.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you don't have optical in on your receiver, see if your TV has audio output jacks (red & white RCA plugs). If so you can unplug the red/white/yellow cable from your cable box & plug the red & white into the TV instead. The sound from the TV (whether it's originally from the cable box, or from your Apple TV) will go to the receiver.

Different TVs don't all behave the same with this; my Vizio works fine this way in that all I have to do is turn the TV volume down all the way and I can still hear the sound through my stereo receiver. You'll need to test that & see if there are any settings you need to adjust on your TV to make it work the way you want.