Connecting Buffalo Linksys NAs to ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Noibla, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Noibla macrumors newbie

Hello

im currently running a Mk1 ATV which is jailbroken for Boxxee. I have been watching files through this for so me time now, but looking to move to ATV3. A friend told me he converts files and then can watch through the normal ATV3 movies area.

I started down the road, but noticed my bigger files wont play, and more file today seem bigger due to BR quality.

Currently the NAS holds my itunes files, with the itunes residing on a mac min connected via WiFi. The NAS and the ATV are connected through an AEBS via ethernet and also directly using USB2

i ran a diagnostic today and found there is an ethernet connection issue but cant find it

Anything wrong with the way im connected, and anything i can do to improve? I would have assumed that 2GB files should play ok when conected by USB2.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you go to ATV3, the "mechanics" of playing the files will be a lot different & you may or may not encounter the same issues. The videos will be served to iTunes on your Mac, and then streamed from there to your ATV3.

First thing you can test without actually having an ATV3 is playing one of your bigger movies right on your Mac. If that runs smoothly then you're OK with the connection between the NAS and the Mac - if not, you will want to investigate that link and see if you can improve the performance there before you try to bring an ATV3 into the mix.

If I'm reading correctly your ATV and NAS are on the network via Ethernet but the Mac is connected via Wifi. If that's true, you'll be doing double-duty on the wifi - the Mac will be reading the video file from the NAS over wireless, and then streaming the video out to the ATV3 via wireless. So even if you can play smoothly on the Mac under your current config, it's possible that adding the ATV3 could cause performance problems due to the additional wifi traffic. If it's practical to string an Ethernet over to the Mac, that might be beneficial.