Connecting Canon HF20 to MAC for Ustream

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gator24765, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have canon HF20 that I would like to connect to my macbook pro so that I can stream to Ustream. How am I able to connect? What equipment is needed?

Outputs on my camera:

HMDI
    AV Out
    Component out
    USB

Inputs on my macbook pro:

USB
    Firewire
    Mini-display port

2. Gator24765, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I was under the impression that one would need a Firewire port on the camera to stream as this is what I have to use on the weekends for seminars. I haven't even tried other methods with flash card cameras for streaming since the Panasonic unit has the FW port.

Good luck

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

seems pretty dumb that it is so hard to connect a camcorder to a computer for streaming purposes.

now windows computers don't even make computers with firewire anymore.. how is anyone supposed to stream using an external camera?

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I know that my friend does live events using a Canon HV40 because it has Firewire and streams really well. I'm not sure but the streaming company that my church goes through offers us the option to video first an event, then upload the footage for streaming at a later set time like a video on demand feature.

Right now they are using an older Panasonic unit GS900? They are thinking about going with the HV40 though.

I say I don't know but maybe you could email the likes of Grassvalley and bring the video into a box via another connection and then the unit (box) might send the signal to the feed? This is all a guess since I have never tried it this way or even sent them an email asking if it would work.

Last, maybe a good HD webcam depending upon what you are going to do. If it's sports or something from a distance then this idea is out :eek:

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Firewire is mostly used with tape based cameras which is being phased out. With newer camcorders HDMI is the way to go for streaming to the internet. It is far more superior IMO which is an uncompressed format.

7. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Yes it will be sports..

YEs i agree, firewire is going downhill. How would you connect to a computer using hdmi.

Most importantly will it be recognized by FMLE? That is the only software that the company we go through uses.