Connecting DirecTV Box to External Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chase R, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I have a MacBook that I use with a Dell 22" LCD external monitor. I was wondering if I could use my monitor as a TV. The outputs on my DirecTV box are S-Video, Composite Video, and USB. I know they make VGA to S-Video adapters and DVI to S-Video adapters. Could I just plug my DirecTV box into my monitor with one of the adapters and have it work? Also is there a way that I can have my MacBook on and connected to the monitor at the same the DirecTV box is on and connected to the monitor and be able to switch back and forth between the two? Thanks in advance!

2. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well what kind of inputs does the monitor have?

My Dell has S-Video, VGA, Composite, and DVI. If you have S-Video or composite you can connect your receiver to your monitor with that.

Also what kind of receiver do you have? My DirecTV receiver as HDMI and I can use a HDMI-DVI converter.

Please post specific model numbers--monitor and receiver.

4. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

The monitor is the Dell E228WFP. The receiver doesn't have HDMI, unfortunately, and it's the D11 model.

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, you have your work cut out for you, Chase. The D11 only has Composite (Yellow for video/Red & White for audio) out, and the Dell monitor only has DVI and VGA. I'd either see if you can upgrade your DirecTV box to one that does HDMI or just break down and buy an inexpensive LCD TV. Don't forget that even if you can get video to the Dell display, you still won't get sound from the box unless you have a separate stereo to hook up. Check this thread for more info:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=548774

Good luck! :)

6. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Would a composite video to DVI or VGA adapter work. If not then I can see how much it would cost to upgrade to an HDMI receiver. Oh and audio isn't a problem. I have a separate stereo system that I would use via red/white RCA to 1/8" audio cable adapter.

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yes it probably would, but I'm guessing the video quality would be pretty bad. It is worth a shot, however, and I would suggest checking out www.monoprice.com for the cable, that way you don't spend more money than needed to try it out.