connecting e-reader to IMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DIABLOW, Mar 6, 2012.

1. DIABLOW macrumors member

I am using an e-reader brand named Eco Reader and from time to time I need to download books that I have purchased and then upload them to the reader. This was a simple process when I was using windows which recognized the reader as a drive so that I could drag and drop files into the reader. I have just started using the IMac and I find that my IMac will not recognize the (cable - USB) connection to the reader. Please help.

2. DIABLOW thread starter macrumors member

can anyone help please.:p

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just wondering -- does the Eco-Reader have a settings panel that includes "USB settings"?

If it -does- have settings for USB, what options does it offer?

Try this:
    - Plug the reader into the Mac
    - Open System Profiler (it's in the "Utilities" folder)
    - When System Profiler launches, look on the left for "USB". Click it.
    - On the upper right, you should see various USB info. Try poking around, clicking each item. Do you see -any- reference to the reader?

It's -possible- that the USB connection scheme on the reader is such that it can't be used with the Mac. Perhaps the filing system used by the reader isn't compatible with what the Mac OS can understand.

I think you need to get the reader set up to function as a "USB Mass Storage" device so that the Mac can recognize it. This might be adjustable per the USB settings (then again, there may be no way to set this).

Have you googled for a user forum for this model of reader?

4. skinny*k macrumors regular

Use an SD card

I would go to the company's website and look for a FAQ or the support page. The manual for your reader says that it uses a "Desktop Application" to link a computer (I'm guessing a Windows box), and there may be no Mac support, but you can use an SD card, with a USB adapter on your Mac. When you transfer files to the SD card, and install the card in the reader, you may see "ghost files" in the directory on the reader. These files won't open—they are "invisible files" on the Mac, for use by the Mac's Finder. You can throw them away or ignore them. If you don't "Open" the SD card when its mounted on the Mac, these files won't appear on the reader. The "MobileRead" Forum is a better place to find more info about readers.