Connecting external drive to airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Necross, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Necross macrumors member

Hey folks

I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I want to plug into my Airport Extreme's USB port (its the square N router, not time capsule)

I can connect to it if I do cmd K and put in the router's IP address, but I want to have this drive mounted on my desktop 24/7 and also have it available to PCs since I'm planning to install windows 7 with boot camp on my new Macbook.

Can anyone help out and tell me how to get this to mount like it's a normal hard drive? I remember there used to be an Airport Disk Utility program on my old mac a while ago, but it's not on my new mac. I can't find any setting that will let me mount it...

any ideas?

2. McGiord, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

I followed these from another source, works perfectly. Also, if you are a MobileMe user you can set the hard drive up so you can access it using your Mac from anywhere in the world over the internet, it does not have to be connected to another computer, just to the AEBS using Back To My Mac:

1. Click the finder icon in your dock
    2. Press command-, (comma) or click on the word "Finder" in the menu bar and click preferences
    3. Click on the General tab
    4. Make sure there is a check mark in the box next to "Connected servers"
    5. Verify that your airport disk now appears on your desktop. If not, connect to it manually the way you normally do.
    6. Click on the Apple logo in the menu bar
    7. Click on "System Preferences"
    8. Click on "Accounts"
    9. Click on your account
    10. Click on "Login Item", to the right
    11. Look at the lock in the bottom left of the window�if it is locked, click it and enter your credentials to unlock.
    12. Drag your airport disk from the desktop into the space where login items appear (you may already have stuff there, which is okay)
    13. Put a check mark into hide box next to your airport disk
    14. Close System Preferences
    15. Restart your computer
    16. Once it is done rebooting, you will see your airport disk appear on your desktop
    17. Start a program that needs to access files on your airport disk (e.g. iTunes, EyeTV, Plex, etc.)
    18. The program in step 17 will start without giving you an error that it cannot find the needed file
    19. Jump around giddily and/or laugh maniacally

4. Necross thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that did it :) it was the finder preferences, I didn't have connected servers checked for some reason :)