Connecting external hard drive to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kanshira, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kanshira macrumors member

hi, I've just got my mbp, and want to install windows via boot camp, I don't want to have it partitioning my hard drive because i want the full 160gb hard drive. Is it possible to connect a external hard drive via usb and running/processing boot camp and installing windows on it?, If thats not possible is there any other methods of doing so?

thanks for help.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes this is possible,i use a 2.5 drive in an enclosure that i cloned over OS X to
    using http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html .Your other option would be
    to try parallels or fusion(with or without bootcamp partition) they are virtual software that allows you to run both OS X and XP at the same time both have trial periods so check em out

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I imagine for this request you want to use Firewire instead of USB for the speed. I am sure USB 2.0 would work fine but it would be rather slow.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Two ways to do this, one of them I am certain will work:
    1. Use bootcamp to do what it does on an external or your own internal (you can always desize it again) and boot up in the blue windows installer and select your external hd as Windows target.

2. Use your good friend Bombich again.For this to be feasible you can create a small partition with Boot Camp (as already pointed out you can desize or unpartition it again later) and install Windows here.
    Use Netrestorehelper and ntfs-tools (as indicated in Bombics article) to create a masterimage of Windows on your Mac OS X hd somewhere. Use Netrestore to restore the master image on your external, boot and voila you are good to go.