Connecting External HD to AirPort Extream & Utilizing Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Junkjet, May 13, 2010.

1. Junkjet macrumors newbie

Hi:

So I recently purchased a Segate FreeAgent external HD and want to connect it to my AirPort Extream. I was hoping to use Time Machine to back up my MacBook Pro.

I thought that I had it working at one point; but I'm no longer able to access the external HD and Time Machine fails to run. I'm now getting a "Disk Unavailable" message.

1. Does someone have instructions on how to properly set up the external drive through the USB connection of the AirPort Extream?

2. Will Time Machine run through a wireless network?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dom

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Disks?

3. Junkjet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Spinnerly:
    When I initially set the external drive up I did indeed follow the setup in AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Disks?

My AirPort Extream then showed up in the Shared area of the sidebar in finder. I then had to select the the AirPort Extream to get the HD to show up in finder. I was then able to access the HD and run Time Machine backup. It worked for a day then quit. Are you aware of any network setting that need to be changed? I'm hesitant to changes anything, I don't want to make matters worse.

Dom

4. Limey77 macrumors regular

I think you'll find that it is not easy to use an external drive as an Airport drive and use Time Machine.

I've tried several of the workarounds that you'll see in Google, but with no luck.

If you want to backup wirelessly I believe that you will need to by a Time Capsule, otherwise it's just plugging the external drive into the computer and backing up.

5. Lynn42 macrumors newbie

Connecting External HD to AirPort Extreme & Time Machine

I use my Airport Extreme and external hard drive to back up my 17" macbook pro. My backup drive is a 1TB My Book that has a usb AND a 120V power outlet. Plugging the USB directly into the airport extreme isn't powerful enough to run the backup. You need the power outlet as well. I have been doing this for a year now with no problems.

Also, since Apple came out with the Time Capsule, they will tell you they don't support using an external drive with the Airport Extreme and Time Machine. I have had no problems, and every once in awhile I do an additional new backup on a different external HD that I will plug into the USB directly on my MacBook.

6. Lokrado macrumors regular

care to specify how?

7. Lynn42 macrumors newbie

Connecting External HD to AirPort Extreme & Time Machine

I formatted the MyBook external drive for the Mac (journaled), plugged the power cord into an electrical outlet and then plugged the USB into the Airport Extreme Router's USB. Finder detected the external drive and the MyBook showed up as a folder on the Airport Extreme. I then opened Time Machine and and where it says Select Disk, selected the MyBook for the TM backup.

I have backed up my entire macbook pro, and also restored files many times, and have not had any problems. In Time Machine Preferences I did not put a check mark for "backup while on battery power". I have, however restored a few files when on battery power. Hope this helps you out! The power cord is essential - when I tried to do this with an external drive w/out power cord, I couldn't back up. I use that external drive as a separate backup by plugging it into my macbok pro. I prefer having an additional backup in case my 1TB fails.