• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

nakedsocrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2020
Besides the fact that you need an adaptor, does it matter for performance or anything else if you get a monitor that accepts usb-C over one that only has the HDMI or other connections?

dmccloud

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I connect mine using a USB-C to HDMI cable on a monitor that only has HDMI and DisplayPort connections. The bigger hit on performance isn't the connection itself, but the resolution of the external monitor. A QHD or 4K monitor would have a bigger performance hit than FHD (1080p) monitors because of the integrated videocard having to drive more pixels.

Comment

nakedsocrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2020
Thanks.

I decided to go with the LG 27UI850-W which has usb-c

The usb-C charging cable that came with the 2019 MacBook Air can be used for connecting to the display?

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
The biggest benefit of a USBC monitor vs HDMI or DisplayPort is that a USBC monitor may supply power to the MBA, and may also serve as a USB hub, thus giving you a single-cable-docking solution of sorts. Specifics of course will depend on the monitor.

Comment

harshw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
I have a 2018 MacBook Air. When using it with a HP Envy 4K 27” monitor and USB-C to USB-C - it connects at 2560x1600. When using USB-C to DP, it connects at the proper scaled resolutions

Does it mean that the 2018 MBA cannot use USB-C? I have a 2017 tMBP that works perfectly with this monitor and USB-C

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.