Connecting external monitor to macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noelkara, Nov 24, 2012.

1. noelkara macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have a 2008 Macbook Pro. I few months ago, I had a problem with the display and Apple replaced the logic board, since it was recalled on this computer. The problem then disappeared...

Until a few days ago, when it developed a horizontal line across the screen. When I take a screen shot of the display, the line is not apparent. So, I think it may be a loose display cable, or maybe the display panel needs to be replaced. In any case, I am in the middle of finals for the quarter and also sort of broke. I can fix this problem in a few weeks, but right now I just need to keep working.

So I want to connect an external monitor that I have at home to the laptop. I think the problem will not show up on an external display. However, I am unsure what sort of adapter I need to do it. I don't want to drive around the city looking for it unless I know it exists and know what I need. I was hoping to call a few places ahead of time.

It's an old viewsonic monitor I used to use with a PC laptop. I attached pics of the cable. Can anyone let me know if there is an adapter available to connect this to the macboook?

Attached Files:

2. mfram macrumors 65816

According to Apple Specs, the 2008 MacBook Pro has a DVI port on the side. So you would need a DVI-to-VGA connector adapter. Yes, it exists. Just google for "dvi to vga adapter".