Connecting external monitor to MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diffuser78, Mar 10, 2010.

1. diffuser78 macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP and now want to create a office setup where I could use larger monitor, an external keyboard, and mouse for using the same MBP.

1. How to do this setup ? Is hooking an external monitor to DVI port to MBP good enough ? Can I use usb keyboard and mouse to connect to MBP ? Anything else ?

Can you please share your setup and anything that I should take care of.

What's a good place to buy these accessories ?

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, just connect the display and whatever peripherals you want. Personally, I love Apple's laptop keyboards, so I'd just plug in a mouse and use the built-in keyboard.

You can rearrange the displays (change where you move the mouse to pass from one to the other) under  -> System Preferences -> Displays. You can also run the computer in clamshell mode with an external keyboard, but I see no reason to give up the 13"/15"/17" of free screen real estate provided by the laptop's own display. You can just set the bigger display as the primary and just use the smaller one for IM/reference/email/whatever.

There are a number of threads around here for posting pictures of system setups if you're looking for some inspiration, but mine looks like this. The right display is driven by the iMac, and the iBook on the left is connected using Synergy to simulate a seamless 3-monitor setup. I use the left display for IM, the right for web browsing (web browsing is wonderful on a portrait-aspect monitor), and the centre for coding and photo work.

Attached Files:

3. diffuser78 thread starter macrumors newbie

I love your setup...really nice. Right now little short for Apple LED Cinema Display which you have.

BTW, where is your keyboard and mouse hooked to ? Are they hooked to Mackbook or your Apple monitor ?

I am thinking of buying some 26" monitor for coding. Mac display is awesome but sometimes little short for coding.

Thanks

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's not a Cinema Display. It's a 20" iMac. But yes, the LED Cinema display has a pretty steep price tag.

They're connected to the built-in hub in the right monitor, which is plugged into the iMac.