Connecting Guitar through Headphone Jack, MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Danley, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Danley macrumors member

I have a Peavey Ampkit connector that works through the headphone jack with iOS...

Will that setup work with GarageBand on a MacBook Air? I can't seem to make it work (get sound through headphones but no recording), but a search seems to tell me that similar devices can work. Anything specifically I should configure, or time to get a FireWire cable?

2. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

That should work as far as I'm aware. You may need to go into system preferences and select the input before opening garageband and then make sure it is also selected in Garagebands preferences too.

3. Danley thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, still not able to get it to work...

When I try to create a project, it gives me a choice to select input and output; the only input suggestions are "none," "system setting," and "built-in microphone..." Selecting each of these produces the same result (input is through the built-in pinhole.)

"Output" only allows me to select between "built-in output," or "system setting" (although I will still hear sound through the headphones.)

Going into system sound settings outside of Garageband, the output settings will automatically select headphones when plugged in, but input settings don't allow change.

The Peavey Amplink has power and cables plugged in, and has the four contact 1/8" jack. Something I'm missing?

4. Danley thread starter macrumors member

Just an FYI... Gave up on the 1/8" jack, using an Audiobox USB interface which works really well with Garageband, doesn't get much easier.