Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys, I was wondering what the best (and possibly most affordable) setup for hooking up a guitar to a 2011 MBP and then to an amp would be?
The simplest I've thought of is to get 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapters and just go from guitar to mic in and from headphone out to amp (speaker), but now I think that's a bit... Primitive xD and won't get me such a good sound... Anyway, suggestions?

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Well, that's certainly the cheapest way to go about it. What are your needs? Is this for bedroom practice, jamming, or shows? Also, are you just playing your guitar track through your amp, or are you also playing drum and bass loops? I'd be really careful about drums, bass, or lower range piano sounds being played through your guitar amp.

An audio interface between your guitar and Mac will give you the best sound. There are numerous options along a wide price range.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Well, that's certainly the cheapest way to go about it. What are your needs? Is this for bedroom practice, jamming, or shows? Also, are you just playing your guitar track through your amp, or are you also playing drum and bass loops? I'd be really careful about drums, bass, or lower range piano sounds being played through your guitar amp.

An audio interface between your guitar and Mac will give you the best sound. There are numerous options along a wide price range.

I mostly want it for bedroom practice, maybe for shows if I run into something amazing effect-wise. I'm not planning on running bass and drums through my amp xD I'll switch over to external speakers for that. My main concern would be the line in from the guitar.
As far as audio interfaces like that, I've never actually used one... Maybe I'll look into something simple to start off with.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
The cable you were talking about for plugging your guitar into your Mac should cost around $5-10. Guitar Center will carry it, as will other guitar stores. I purchased mine from Radio Shack. Since you're just trying this out at home right now, I'd suggest picking up the cable and seeing if that method works for you. It isn't the best quality, but it works. I plug my guitars and basses into my MBP and a pair of headphones and jam through GarageBand all the time, especially if my only playing time is late at night. The same type of cable can be used to go from the headphone port to your amp input.

Later, if you want to try a USB audio interface you'll have to sort through a ton of options. Your price range makes a big difference. Google the Apogee Duet 2 if you want to see a pricey piece of kit. It's nice. :D

iVikD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
The cable you were talking about for plugging your guitar into your Mac should cost around $5-10. Guitar Center will carry it, as will other guitar stores. I purchased mine from Radio Shack. Since you're just trying this out at home right now, I'd suggest picking up the cable and seeing if that method works for you. It isn't the best quality, but it works. I plug my guitars and basses into my MBP and a pair of headphones and jam through GarageBand all the time, especially if my only playing time is late at night. The same type of cable can be used to go from the headphone port to your amp input.

Later, if you want to try a USB audio interface you'll have to sort through a ton of options. Your price range makes a big difference. Google the Apogee Duet 2 if you want to see a pricey piece of kit. It's nice. :D

Ok, I checked, they have 1/4 to 1/8 mono and stereo... I assume I want the Mono one since I'm only plugging in a guitar, but to be honest, I have no idea >_>

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Perfect. Thank you... I guess I'll be checking in with Apple before posting my stupid questions from now on xD

lol, no prob. Also, Ebay is your friend for a really cheap adapter (you might have to wait a while for it to get to US from China though)!

Now, if you want to just use an iPod or iPhone instead of your mac, you could get this $30 cable (probably the adapter will work the same, just no output, also, less weight on the connectors w/ a cable that goes down in size): http://store.griffintechnology.com/guitar-connect

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I'd recommend using something like a Presonus AudioBox or the like. The problem you'll run into is that while the inputs have a HiZ guitar input option, they generally don't have such an output, making going to an amp a bit of a level problem. This can be fixed with a separate box, however. Radial makes a number of them.

Are you planning on going guitar-->laptop-->amp, or are you sticking the laptop in the effects loop of the amp? I've seen people do that, when they want to use plugins as effects in the loop. Certainly an interesting concept.

iVikD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
I'd recommend using something like a Presonus AudioBox or the like. The problem you'll run into is that while the inputs have a HiZ guitar input option, they generally don't have such an output, making going to an amp a bit of a level problem. This can be fixed with a separate box, however. Radial makes a number of them.

Are you planning on going guitar-->laptop-->amp, or are you sticking the laptop in the effects loop of the amp? I've seen people do that, when they want to use plugins as effects in the loop. Certainly an interesting concept.

I was thinking going straight into the amp input from the laptop, but now that you mention it, that DOES seem like an interesting idea... I think I'll play around with it when I get my cables. I would love to get an interface, but I've been looking at the prices in my country, and while there's a decent range, there are only low and very high prices.

I've seen an Edirol UA-4FX for BsF 2150 (roughly $270) and a Roland UA1010 for BsF 6500 ($812). Needless to say, the latter is the more complete one, but I don't know how reliable it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.