Connecting HDD via Wi-fi

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gngan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I've been searching for a while but don't get it. Here's the problem.

I am using a ethernet for going online at home. I can't use my router because the wall is too thick and i can't connect. However, i would like to use my external HDD as Time Machine. I do not want to connect it through USB. I found something call AirPort Extreme Base station that i can connect my HDD using USB and backup through wifi. Is there something similar to this that is cheaper?

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

AirPort Extreme Base Station *is* a router, and a good one at that... maybe good enough to blast through your "thick walls". Plus, you can do the wireless backups as you wish.

To answer your question though, no, I don't know of anything cheaper that will allow wireless Time Machine backups.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Curious, why the hate for USB? I mean, you're still going to plug it into a USB port, just on the router instead of the computer. :confused:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can save a lot by buying one from the refurb store for US$129 if you are in the US. other Time machine compatible NAS are available but will cost more than $129.

B

5. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Can i just plug the HDD to AirPort Extreme Base Station and use it as wireless Time Machine without plugging ethernet?

6. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

7. gngan, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thank you very much. I plan to back up when i'm asleep during the night. i am surprise that no other company has something similar to AirPort Extreme Base Station. I do not want to usb because There will be more than one computer that I use Time Machine. Wifi can do both at the same time.

Edit: I have a Dlink DIR-655 and it's supposed to be very good (http://www.dlink.hk/products/?pid=530). I still can't get any signal from one room to another room.

8. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

If you're backing up more than one computer, make sure to partition your external drive. One partition per computer.