Connecting iMac to HDTV, help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badbradderz, Nov 11, 2009.

1. badbradderz macrumors regular

Hi all, i'm wanting to hook up my 24" iMac (early 2009) to my 40" HDTV Sony Bravia (http://www.welectronics.com/tv/SONY-KLV40V400.HTML) so that i can use Plex or even front row to play my media through my TV and take advantage of the surround sound setup i have in my room.

My questions are...

1. what cables/software do i need to achieve this?
    2. is there any way that i can use my TV as a secondary monitor in a way that means i can run media off my iMac, through my TV set, whilst still being able to use my iMac for general tasks such as web browsing. or can i only have the TV mimmick exactly what is on my iMac screen?

thanks in advance.

Brad

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. badbradderz thread starter macrumors regular

fantastic, thanks for your help, will i need a separate cable running from iMac to TV to get the sound?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as the current mDP in Macs doesn't support audio-out.

The audio-out port of the imac supports analog stereo out and digital optical out, so if your TV or hifi set has an optical audio in, you could give that a try.

5. badbradderz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot for your help, in the end i have purchased the following (http://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257954912&sr=8-1)

it is mini displayport to HDMI with a USB connector for the audio output, hopefully this will do the trick *crosses fingers* as it seems to tick all the boxes, ok so the sound wont be true surround sound but the setup i have should distribute the sound quite well even through USB.

6. badbradderz thread starter macrumors regular

my stuff arrived and it works a treat...a 24 inch screen and a 40 inch second screen, very good picture quality, having one or 2 issues setting up the sound to come through my surround sound but im getting there.

7. barnum1 macrumors newbie

Hi badbrazzers

Did you have to do anything specific to get this working? I have a MacBook Pro and a Sony Bravia 32W5500, and I bought the adapter Mini DisplayPort to HDMI w. USB Audio. I got 1080p picture for a while (20 seconds?) and then the TV went black. (No info about resolution etc. on the TV, so I guess it doesn't detect any signal....)

Thanks for any advice!