connecting IMAC to second monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Markrad, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Markrad macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first-ever MAC and I'm deep in the learning pit. I would like a second 15-17 inch monitor to use with Photoshop for handling the data-not photo editing. Should I be looking at DVI monitors? What type of cable connects the IMAC to second monitor? Would it just be easier to buy a refurbished Apple monitor?

Thanks for all the help. I really like my new IMAC and wish I made the switch earlier.

Mark

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is it a new iMac? Refurb? Older model?

I believe most of the "older newer" models use a mini-DVI port, which means you have to get a display adapter from Apple to plug into a DVI monitor. In the case of the newest models, I think it uses the Mini DisplayPort, which might be the plug on the new Apple LCDs.

In the end, while I think an Apple display will look the best, they're very pricey. So getting a DVI monitor and which ever dongle you need to plug it into your iMac will be the most cost effective route.

If it's one of the newest iMacs, go to the Apple Store online and search for "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter".