Connecting iMac to TV with VGA port.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 16, 2010.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

What is the best way to do this? The iMac has the mini DVI port, and the TV has a female VGA input. What do I have to do in order to connect the two in order to have dual displays?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I think it is the miniDisplayPort thing on the iMac. That link was confusing to me. It doesn't mention going from an iMac to a TV. What will I need to go from the miniDisplayPort to the VGA on the TV? And will that transfer video as well as audio?

Thanks.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You will need a miniDisplayPort to VGA converter and a VGA cable. This will not carry audio as no VGA or DVI cable carries audio.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That link explains how to go from MiniDisplayPort to VGA, as the MB/Ps use the same MDP port.
    As VGA does not transfer audio, you need a separate cable anyway.

Btw, MonoPrice and Apple offer MDP to VGA adapter and MonoPrice also offers Male-Male VAG cables, as the MDP to VGA adapter has a female VGA port.

6. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, thanks. So, for the audio I see I need a 3.5mm to white/red male RCA. The link on that page shows a six foot one, but I need at least thirty feet. Where do I find a long one of those?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, a male 3.5mm to male RCA (there are also available in black/red) will work. For that length, take a look at www.monoprice.com or any good sorted audio equipment store. Even many of the TV retail chains should have 10m RCA cables.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Try this website. I have used them in the past, to purchase 75-100ft long ethernet cables, and they are pretty good quality. The only thing is that their standard shipping takes about a week.