Connecting iMac to TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jacko30, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Jacko30 macrumors newbie

So, I am building a new house and am going to be buying a new iMac to go with it. What I want to do is to have the iMac upstairs and a TV downstairs. I want to be able to play games while sitting at the TV using the iMac as a computer. I can add the necessary cables (distance would be about 10M) but wondered which way to go about it. I would need display(HDMI), sound(over HDMI?), USB(Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick).

Another question that i have is what wireless router to get. I am in Australia and will be getting a fibre connect with speeds of up to 100MB/s. What kind of router will be good enough to cater for these speeds and cover a smallish 2-story house?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDMI provides both, video and sound so that is easy. There are also USB (as well as HDMI) cables that are long enough for your uses, although they may not be exactly cheap.

For the best performance, you would want a wired network with Gigabit Ethernet but there are plenty of routers which work too. AirPort Extreme is one but there are many good 3rd party ones as well.

3. PhDflops, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

PhDflops macrumors newbie

Thank Yo

Thanks guys, I will try to use the magic mouse again and see if i have any further problems i know to contact you guys :). If it is a fan problem would the manufacturing warranty replace it? if not I will try to deal with it :cool: Thanks guys your help is most appreciated :):):)

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

USB might not work above 5M; try one of those active end/repeater cables (monoprice has 'em if they'll ship south to ya). I've heard of folks just sticking a cheap powered USB hub in between two 5M cables but YMMV.

Rob