iPad Connecting Ipad to wired internet connection though bluetooth USB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cargoguy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. cargoguy macrumors newbie

I've done a search here and didn't find anything. I'm not sure if I am using the proper keywords though.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to connect my ipad to a wired network using a Bluetooth USB. I have found a few items that show it is possible for laptops to connect this way, but has anyone heard of it being done with the Ipad.

We don't have wireless access at work and I would like to use my Ipad there and also at my parents house.

Here's is the route I think it would need to travel.

Internet-----Wired Desktop----Bluetooth USB plugged into desktop----- Ipad connected to Internet through bluetooth

Thanks in advance

2. aohus macrumors 68000

what phone are you using so you can tether it?

please give carrier, phone you are using.

3. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Swing and a miss

4. aohus macrumors 68000

huh?

5. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Did you actually read his post? Has nothing to do with tethering to a phone. Btw I haven idea how to share a desktop Internet thru a bluetooth dingle OP. Sorry

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

There is a jail broken bt app that lets the iPad connect to a BT DUN solution. You could share the Ethernet connection to the BT connection on the desktop and then connect the iPad app to that network.

An easier solution would be to get a USB wifi dongle for the desktop and then bridge the LAN to that. This way there is no need for the JB Bluetooth app...

7. cargoguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info, I'll check out the USB wifi dongle option.

8. b00st3d macrumors member

b00st3d

Do you have a windows desktop or laptop with wifi built in? If so, you can enable Internet connection sharing on your ethernet connection and then share it over the wifi on your computer by creating an ad hoc wifi connection. Then you just connect with your iPad to that ad hoc wireless network you just created on your desktop/laptop.

There are some guides online. Just search for Internet connection sharing and ad hoc network. I've done this from a vista laptop and a windows 7 desktop successfully.

9. f1ben macrumors newbie

iPad ethernet

Perhaps someone knows an answer to the original question, which was "Is there a way to connect the iPad to a network using a wired ethernet connection." I'd like to deploy the iPad in an environment where wireless networking is not an option. Physically, this should be possible using the camera kit's USB to Dock connector and a USB ethernet adapter. Does anyone know if this will work with the drivers included on the iPad? Or, would I need to write my own iPad app to do this?

10. rwfitzgerald, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

rwfitzgerald macrumors newbie

I have the same question

I am anxiously waiting for a response to this member's question. I would narrow down the situation further. I have an Ipad, I have a laptop that is direct cable connection to the internet and I want the Ipad to be able to access the internet through the laptop using blue-tooth. My situation is that I AM NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A WIRELESS, PERIOD (so no ad-hoc allowed, either). Perhaps the hard-core types would consider blue-tooth to be wireless, but under the rules I must play by, it is not. Otherwise, I now have the proper response to participants who don't read and comprehend the full question: "Swing.. Miss" I love it!

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This thread is really old.

You can share your internet connection on your computer so that INCOMING internet is through the wired ethernet/"direct cable connection, and internet sharing is set up as OUTGOING through your WiFi. I know how this works on a mac, but not on a PC.

Then you can have any iDevice join your computer's WiFi network from WiFi in iOS.