Connecting iPhone to an ADHOC Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Forestdeath, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Forestdeath macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping you can help me, I have a Desktop PC and have installed a Wireless Dongle, I have created the ADHOC connection on the XP system I believe the settings on the PC are correct, I then connect my iPhone to the connection sucessfully.. But I don't have any Internet connection the page loads for around 30second and them times out.

Has/Does any one got/know this working?

The location I am using this at doesn't have a Wireless Router, I want to use this with the slingplayer application.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I've done all of that, Any other ideas?

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

you've checked off the box where it says allow others to share my internet?

5. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Yep

6. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

OK, My settings are

PC Settings

IP-DHCP
    SM-DHCP
    DG-DHCP

Wireless Settings - Static IP
    IP-192.168.0.1
    SM-255.255.255.0

iPhone
    IP-192.168.0.2
    SM-255.255.255.0
    Router-192.168.0.1
    DNS-192.168.1.1

Yet still no connection.

7. ghayenga macrumors regular

Ad hoc connections don't work with the iPhone. It doesn't work from my Mac either. It requires a router for some reason. I used to have my home wireless network solely come from an ah-hoc connection created by my old G4. And it worked fine, except my iPhone wouldn't connect to it. I found documentation somewhere that stated an actual router was required for an iPhone to connect to it. So that gave me an excuse to buy myself a Time Capsule.

8. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Really? So all the websites on Google are total crap?

9. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Look into something called SoftAP. It is a mode that you can set your network card in that allows you to run in station mode rather than ad-hoc mode.

Edit: It's true. iPhone won't connect to an ad-hoc connection.

10. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Where did you get this info from?

11. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

My personal experiences (I've spent about 20 hours trying to set up ad-hoc connections and also trying to change my network card into station mode) and Google.

You don't have to believe me; it is the internet, after all. However, I'd advise you to not waste your time on an un-jailbroken iPhone attempting to connect to an ad-hoc connection.

The same applies for PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, etc. They will only connect to devices running in station mode.

12. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Hi Mate,

Well I have you theory out the window, I have just managed to get it working, I can browse the Internet, Download Apps... Jusr can't get Slingplayer to work.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

You should post how you did this, since most people have difficulty with this.

14. Forestdeath thread starter macrumors member

Well after spending nearly 48hrs trying to get it to work, Sling go and release the 3G version, And the quality is great, Not as good as TV Catchup but having all those extra channels is awesome.

15. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

what are you people talking about!!???? i have been using ad hoc networks for my ipod touch and iphone since i first got them, mine is connected to my macbook right now. this is absolute false information. its works 100% fine.