Connecting iPhone to tv. Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Jul 5, 2009.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I was reading the info on the Apple component cables box and it says that output is at 480i.

Worth even bothering?

How does it look to you when you hook it up and play? (I assume more than one of you has done it)

2. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

I do it and I have a 47 inch Sharp HD tv and I think it looks fine. It is nice because you can take your movies with you when you travel and you can watch them on a bigger screen. Not a must have but a nice option.

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

4. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I do, both rentals from iTunes and movies I've ripped. I can't say for sure how good the quality is, because all my tv's are CRT's. "On Demand" is much quicker, so I don't use it very often.

5. Morn macrumors 6502

It's fine. But it's just SD video remember. 47" HD screen, not the most ideal source video for it. But no worse than DVD at least.

6. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I spent the last 5 months converting all off my DVD's (170) and all of my tv-shows-on-dvd (almost 2,000 episodes) onto my iMac and I actually got rid of my DVD player through out my house. On my main 42 inch tv in the Family Room I have an Apple Tv Streaming all my media from my iMac. and then I have an iPhone, my sister has an iPod Nano and my brother has an iPod Touch and so I bought 2 component cables that we all share.

If we want to watch a movie or a tv show, all we have to do is add the content to our apple device, and then just plug and play on the tv. for 480i, it looks good to me, DVD quality and 5.1 sound. I'm not picky and I've made my choice not to go Blu-Ray.

the reason I did this was because I travel a lot for my job, and sometimes I'm gone a week or two at a time, so now all I bring with me is my MacBook, iPhone and External Hard Drive and I can watch my movies or tv shows when I want, its my Home Away from Home.

8. autumnmike macrumors member

i use it. dvd like quality isn't bad. its rad for youtube and video sites. of course wifi looks better. if i already had my mac hooked up to my tv, i probably wouldn't buy it, but i don't so it can come in handy. do i use it enough to justify the 50 price tag, probably not. it is kinda cool, eh, futuristic to use though. my girlfriend/other people, is kinda...wha....??? thats video is coming from your phone...and its streaming?? taking that into consideration, thats pretty awesome. its just to bad that apple doesn't ship this with the iphone originally. and a dock for **** sakes. but i guess thats kinda how life is.

por exmplo,
    i went to my fav mex restaurant yesterday, and they're even starting to get chin-se on ****. no cheese on the the refried beans, no mini nachos, half the salsa, weaker margaritas, no cinnamon chip desert.

do away with the greed and lets get this new economy on the right path.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It looks good. Certainly worth watching.

Here's my scale of video visual quality, assuming you're hooked up to a 42" HDTV. (#10 being the best-possible on that TV, not the best image of all time.)

0 - Your cat threw up on the screen

1 - VHS

2 -

3 - Youtube on an AppleTV (Low-quality videos)

4 - Youtube on an AppleTV (High-quality videos) / SD Mini-DV consumer camera

5 - SD iTunes purchase playing out of iPhone analog cable / SD Cable DVR

6 - DVD in normal player / SD Over-the-air TV

7 - DVD in up-converting player / HD Consumer mini-cam

8 - AppleTV with an HD iTunes purchases.

9 - Cable HD DVR

10 - Blu-Ray movies