iPod Connecting iPod mini to stereo?

Asnyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I was thinking of connecting my old ipod mini to my home stereo. I found a regular AV cable and asked a tech guy if it could be used to connect my ipod to my stereo. He said yes so I tried to connect and it works, well not really, I'm getting very poor sound quality. I'm from Belgium and using a regular AV cable with the headphone jack of my ipod and the AUX input in my stereo.
How will I get better sound quality? If needed I'll post some pics.

Cheers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I regularly use my full-sized 4g iPod in the dock with such a cable and the sound is just fine. Trying to use the headphone jack is very limiting since the output level is much lower.

Asnyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Any alternatives to get better sound? I would really love to have a better output sound...:(

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
I had the same problem. Basically, you have to try different inputs in your stereo amplifier.

For example, for me (on an older stereo amp) if I plugged it into the port for a phonograph, it sounded horrible -- scratchy and skipping. So I plugged it into one of the tape ports instead, and it sounded wonderful.

On a newer amp (the one I use for surround sound and other equipment for a home theatre set up), I plugged it into the digital TV port and it works great.

Basically, try experimenting in other audio input ports on your stereo amplifier.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I had the same problem. Basically, you have to try different inputs in your stereo amplifier.

For example, for me (on an older stereo amp) if I plugged it into the port for a phonograph, it sounded horrible -- scratchy and skipping. So I plugged it into one of the tape ports instead, and it sounded wonderful.

On a newer amp (the one I use for surround sound and other equipment for a home theatre set up), I plugged it into the digital TV port and it works great.

Basically, try experimenting in other audio input ports on your stereo amplifier.
That's a good way to ruin equipment but you can always buy another, right?