Connecting iPod mini to stereo?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Asnyers, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Asnyers macrumors newbie

I was thinking of connecting my old ipod mini to my home stereo. I found a regular AV cable and asked a tech guy if it could be used to connect my ipod to my stereo. He said yes so I tried to connect and it works, well not really, I'm getting very poor sound quality. I'm from Belgium and using a regular AV cable with the headphone jack of my ipod and the AUX input in my stereo.
    How will I get better sound quality? If needed I'll post some pics.

Cheers.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I regularly use my full-sized 4g iPod in the dock with such a cable and the sound is just fine. Trying to use the headphone jack is very limiting since the output level is much lower.

3. Asnyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Any alternatives to get better sound? I would really love to have a better output sound...:(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can't buy a dock for your iPod mini?

5. Rick America macrumors member

I had the same problem. Basically, you have to try different inputs in your stereo amplifier.

For example, for me (on an older stereo amp) if I plugged it into the port for a phonograph, it sounded horrible -- scratchy and skipping. So I plugged it into one of the tape ports instead, and it sounded wonderful.

On a newer amp (the one I use for surround sound and other equipment for a home theatre set up), I plugged it into the digital TV port and it works great.

Basically, try experimenting in other audio input ports on your stereo amplifier.

6. Asnyers thread starter macrumors newbie

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a good way to ruin equipment but you can always buy another, right?