Connecting iPod Touch to Mac and PC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drmike, Sep 24, 2008.

1. drmike macrumors member

Hi all -- I just bought a 2G iPod Touch and will be connecting it with iTunes on my MacBook. I assume that doing this will format the Touch with a Mac-only format. Now, in the next six months or so I met be getting (I hate to say this :)) a Windows PC (it's a long story), and if that happens I'll probably want to connect my Touch to Windows as well.

Will I be able to do this? I assume it will require re-formatting/restoring the Touch, is that correct? If I connect the Touch to Windows, will the Windows version of iTunes at least be able to recognize it so I can re-format it?

Thanks for your help.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The issue isn't that the Touch will be formatted for the Mac ... you will be able to connect it to a PC no problem ... but rather that you can only sync with one library on one computer. So if you start using a PC, it will delete what's already there and sync with the PC.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All Flash based iPods are the same format (FAT32) so there is nothing to worry about.

TEG

4. drmike thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I was so used to the old hard-drive iPods that I just assumed there'd be different formats for the flash-based ones. :) Good to know there's no issue.

With my previous iPod, I didn't have it sync with iTunes (I prefer to manually move music from my computer to the iPod), and I'll probably set up the new Touch the same way, so I should be okay there, right? In other words, turning off syncing on my MacBook and then turning off syncing on a PC would allow me to use the Touch with multiple computers?

What about something like photos, though? I seem to recall that the only way to get photos onto an iPod was to use the sync method. Am I right about that?