Connecting iPod Touch to WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vbmike73, Aug 17, 2010.

1. vbmike73 macrumors regular

Please read all details before replying...

I have an iPhone 3GS and a new iPod Touch. I have Wifi at work, which requires a username and password to login. This works with no problems on the iPhone. It also works with no problems on a first generation iPod Touch that a coworker has. But for whatever reason, it will not let me connect my new iPod Touch to Wifi. Anywhere else, it connects with no problem. But there is something that is not compatible with our office wifi. Any ideas on what I could check out to resolve this? It makes no sense to me!!!

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

I don't know the reason, but my Gen II iPT is sensitive to the router. I can connect to some routers, but not get access, cannot connect to others, and others work fine (during the test, all routers were close to the IPD and a computer could get internet through all three via wifi, all security was disabled).

My guess is you have a router at work that doesn't play nicely with you new iPT.

3. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

What gen is your touch and what version is your co-worker's? Like jampat said, Gen 2 has issues.

4. vbmike73 thread starter macrumors regular

In my OP, I said I'm comparing a first gen to a new one. There have only been 2 gens to my knowledge.

5. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

6. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Once in a while you have to press the little blue arrow by the wifi name and press Renew Lease to make it work. I usually have that problem when I try to connect to wifi at public places like restaurants.

Hope that helps. :)

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

As far as I know, the current 8 GB iPod Touch is still using 2nd gen hardware, while the higher capacity models are using 3rd gen hardware.

Are both of the devices running the same firmware?

8. FallenAnjel macrumors member

I always wondered what that was for and I never did it for fear of messing something up! LOL

I will try that next time I'm trying to connect to my ISP's "free' wifi when out and about. Sometimes, I get a full signal, but am still "offline" for all intents and purposes.

9. EllieV macrumors 6502

new? Can't you wait less than a month for like triple the features?