Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ricko64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Bicester, UK
Hi. I am sorry if i sound a bit dumb, i was not very good on a PC and now i have changed to a mac (fantastic)
I am looking to have the main computer in one room,(MacBook Pro) the kids in there rooms.(1 on a PC and 1 on a Mac) is it possible for them to connect wirelessly to the main computer to watch different movies, tv series and so on, which is on the computer (which is connected to an external hard drive where the movies are on)?

Many Thanks for all your help

Paul

wilse

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Up North, Nr Doncaster
Hi fella

Yes you can do what you want... I think that Apple TV duffer is probably the posh way to go... but if like me you are a tight wad, then the easiest way is just to turn sharing on, on your MBP and you are off.

[just re-read your post] I haven't tested for a long time, but years ago you couldn't share and external HD without a little software program called 'sharepoints'... I would hope 10.5 now makes this sw obsolete!?! I'm sure someone else will be along to give a definitive.

hth

wilse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.