connecting mac to pc. help, ive tried all!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by direzz, May 31, 2007.

1. direzz macrumors 6502

hey everyone, ive searched everywhere on how to fix this problem, but nothing seems to help.

my situation is that im trying to share files between my mac and my pc, more specifically i just want to grab files from the pc and bring them to my macbook.

all the other computers on the network let me share, except for one, it keeps giving me "the alias could not be opened because the original file could not be found" then it gives me the option of fixing the alias, but it doesnt fix after that.

i've turned on all file sharing etc on my pc, but nothing seems to work.

what should i do??

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Hmm. Try it from the other way. Enable Windows File Sharing on your Mac, mount the drive from your Windows machine, copy the stuff over.

3. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean mount the drive from the pc?

4. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

i also notices that in my 'Network' folder on my mac, the 'Library' file is an alias and it wont let me delete it saying i dont have the priveleges, but that file wont fix itself either!

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Second time posting this today. No worries though. Maybe read through this:
    Apple Doc

For Ethernet (fastest way?):

6. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help, but i would really like to get the wirless connection working, especially since it was working once before!

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Easiest way to do it -
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3277861&postcount=7

'Share' the directory or drive on your Windows machine and you should be able to access it this way.

A more thorough guide is here, although it incorrectly states that the Windows machine has to have a user account login password. (I share using my method all the time where I work on 3 Windows machines and none of them have a user password set.)

8. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, that helps, however i still cannot connect to this one particular PC on my network... the other pc i can connect to, but the other one cannot because it keeps giving me "the alias [name] could not be oppened because the original could not be found....."

the other pc on my network, when clicked on in finder, opens up very nicely.

why wont the other pc?

9. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Make sure that File and Printer sharing is enabled on the troubled PC. Also, make sure that the XP firewall isn't blocking File and Printer sharing.