Connecting mac to PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shahabhinav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. shahabhinav macrumors newbie

sorry to post an old problem, but my searches on this and other sites and apple's guides haven't yet solved the problem (admittedly it is I, being new to mac)

Having finally seen the light and "switched" to a mac I need to get all my multi-GB ,usic and pictures off PC and into mac. I am looking to make a direct ethernet connection (wireless is not an option, at least not for a while). I get ethernet connection to show green, can ping mac from PC - but can not connect from mac (via smb?) or ping PC from mac. I am sure it must be the PC, but don;t know how to fix this (PC windows firewall is off)

If it helps below is a detailed description of steps I took. Thanks much in advance,
    macnewbie
    -------------------------
    Here is what I did

On the Mac set Ethernet to manually and:

IP address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1

On the PC (in Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connection>TCP/IP>Properties)

IP address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Now from the Mac, I tried to Connect to Server from the Go menu, via
    smb://192.168.1.2, but no go!
    Thanks again folks,

2. dimme macrumors 65816

Try cifs://and your PC's address. Also make sure you have sharing turned on on your PC

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

You set the network up correctly on each but did you create a primary share on the PC? Moreover, you need a X-Over cable - not a typical network cable.
    Also;
    You would typically have to have admin credentials and (PC to PC) would connect to \\192.168.1.x\c$ if you didn't create a share.
    If you're running Leopard on the Mac - just hit CMD-K (connect to server) and enter the IP in - it'll try to connect barred only by a password. Be sure to share your designated targets.

4. poolish macrumors regular

poolish

the way i find most reliable when copying stuff to or from windows is...

I would enable FTP in your Mac sharing preferences,
    File Sharing > Options > Share files and folders using FTP​
    then from the PC go to internet explorer or windows explorer and type the address...
    obviously change macuser and macpassword to your actual mac username and password.
    hopefully this will bring up your user directory on the windows pc!

then just drag the files from wherever on your pc, into your mac ftp folder.