connecting mac to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toblerboy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. toblerboy macrumors member

Hi - I have an old macbook - 2007

My brother recently bought me a cable that goes from my mac to hdmi cable that goes to tv.

This is really cool as I can now drag things onto my TV screen. However, the sound is still coming out of my tv.

My brother has a new mac and thus has a slightly different cable and he gets sounds coming out of his tv - so gets the full movie experience!!

Am I doomed to no sound or is there something I am overlooking - thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Your 2007 Mac does not support sound via its (Mini) DVI out.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

4. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

Right,
    This is my plan now -

I am going to connect my 2007 mac to my bose sound system for the audio aspect of it. I have tried looking through old threads, and I have tried looking online, but I am getting a little confused.

Sorry to ask, do I need some sort of adapter - why the heck does mac need special adapters for everything?! is this some sort of money-making device?

There is an audio in port on the bose system (it is the brand new bose - the second generation)

Any quick answers would be a great help - Im finding that I am wasting looadds of time on this when in theory I'm sure this should be simple!

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Read the stuff that was already posted. Your Mac can connect with something as simple as a standard stereo mini jack. Sheesh, those are about as universal as it gets.

And your post would get better answers if you were specific. For example, what kind of audio input to the Bose are you looking for???

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

I am assuming you are using a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (considering you're using a 2007 MacBook)?

If that's the case, it won't support audio out through that port, and you will have to use a second cable from the audio in/out port. There is no special adapter you can buy to change this.

Your brother's new mac (2010 or later) supports audio out via mini-DisplayPort.

7. toblerboy thread starter macrumors member

robgendreau - chill please - we are not all masters of tech. When I teach History I dont go 'sheesh' to people who dont know the simplest historical facts - Im sure I could catch you out easily and belittle you!

Derick - many thanks - I have now got an audio cable running from comp to bose - and apparently they 'sheesh' about as standard as they come.

Happy New Year
    Tolo