Connecting Mac to Tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by repsac8919, Jan 5, 2013.

1. repsac8919 macrumors newbie

I looked on the first two pages and didn't see a thread, sorry if I made a thread I wasn't supposed to.

Well I have a Macbook pro, it says it version 10.7.3 and has a 2.2. GHz processor and when I connect my HDMI cable into my computer the screen turns blue but nothing happens to my tv. Ive went into the settings and clicked mirror and still nothing happens. I also made sure I had my tv on the right input, if you have any advice please let me know :)

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact MBP do you have and what exact adapter and TV model do you use?

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

3. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 15-inch, late 2011 running on mac osx lion 10.7.3

I bought a belkin mini display port to hdtv cable from best busy, and I'm trying to connect it to a sanyo tv. I'm really not too sure the specs on the tv.

4. simsaladimbamba

Okay then, have you tried any other ports yet? And when the TV is blue, do you see an "Arrangement" tab in System Preferences > Displays? If so, what if you move your mouse OVER the right or left edge of your MBP's screen?

5. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried all three ports that my tv has, and when I connect my mac to my tv my macs screen will turn blue but my tv's screen doesn't. When I tried looking on youtube for tutorials it looked like once the plugged in the mac to their tv their tv screen would link to their compt screen almost instantly.

6. simsaladimbamba

Normally it does, I rarely had problems with my Macs and connecting an additional monitor to it, be it via VGA, DVI, MDP or HDMI on the monitor's end or Mini VGA, Mini DVI or Mini DisplayPort on the Macs' end.

Hmm, go to Applications / Utilities / System Report and open it. Then go to Hardware > Graphics/Displays and make a screenshot and attach it to your next post, while the TV is connected to your Mac.

And I guess, System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement doesn't show up?
    And do you have any other HDMI input device or Mac with Mini DisplayPort to test with?

7. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this right?

Attached Files:

8. simsaladimbamba

Deselect MIRROR DISPLAYS and go to the Graphics / Displays section in System Report, it is ten down from what you have selected.

Hardware (this is what you selected)
    • ATA
    • Audio (Built In)
    • Bluetooth
    • Card Reader
    • Diagnostics
    • Disc Burning
    • Ethernet Cards
    • Fibre Channel
    • Firewire
    • Graphics / Displays (this is what you should select, and then the GPU, where one or two display resolutions are shown, as the TV is recognised by the Mac, but the TV probably does not recognise the Mac)
    • Hardware RAID

9. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry

Attached Files:

10. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if this means anything but when I click the little screen at the top in the drop down menu it says it recognizes my tv.

Attached Files:

11. simsaladimbamba

The Sanyo is recognised, though it shows to only use a resolution of 980 x 540, which is a quarter of 1920 x 1080 pixel (one HD standard, or "Full HD").
    As you probably deselected MIRROR DISPLAYS, can you still see the window titled "Color LCD", which was visible in your screenshot from post #7?

Btw, you do not need to make windows this big to make a screenshot of them.

It may be probable, that the HDMI input of your TV is not working or set correctly, and I guess it is NO to all the unanswered questions I asked?
    Have you consulted the manual of the TV yet?

----------

I know, it was clear from post #7, to me at least, as the MIRROR DISPLAYS arrangement shows two displays and the "Color LCD" window is showing the resolutions of the TV.
    Select 1080p from that dropdown menu and scrub through the HDMI channels again.

12. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried switching it to all other options in the drop down menu, Ive tried it on our other hd tv and still no luck.

13. simsaladimbamba

And MIRROR DISPLAYS is deselected?

14. repsac8919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is, well I'm calling it a night. Thanks for your help! Maybe tmw I'll be able to get it working :)

15. simsaladimbamba

Hmm, I am flabbergasted to be sure. There is probably a simple answer, but I am not getting to it. It is late/early already and I should probably get some sleep too.