Connecting Mac using Linksys USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Italia10588, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Italia10588 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I'm relatively new to Tiger and the mac world in general. I got a mac G3 from my uncle who was ready to pitch it, but althought a little outdated, I figured it would be a decent machiene for simple tasks, and far less buggy then my PC with windows.

Anyway my question is, how would I go about attempting to connect to my internet wirelessly using a Linksys WUSB54G USB adapter?

I dont believe my computer has an airport card in it, but it is a possibility. I know the airport program is installed on it so it might, but is this card even needed when I am using the USB adaptor?

I need pretty detailed instructions on how to go about this, such as where certain things are.. (control pannel, tools menus, etc) because I am learning the mac OSX as I go along.

btw the OSX is 10.3

Thanks in advance.

2. Italia10588 thread starter macrumors newbie

bumping this.

40 views? cmon guys i need some help.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't. The Linksys USB adapter isn't supported by OSX

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Im in the same boat. Got kids a G3 a while back for an internet station. It didnt have airport, so has just been hooked to the router. I wanted to go wireless with it but found out that not only do you need the airport card you also need the adapter for it. Both together runs about $100 on Ebay. Heck, the whole computer was only $100.

Ive seen this on Ebay but too afraid to spend that kind of money without knowing for sure it will work. You want to try it out and let me know?? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-MAC-USB-W...ryZ80060QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

What version is the adapter? I may be able to cobble together a .kext (driver file) for you.

If its a v4 your in luck. I can probably make other versions work too.

6. larsalan macrumors newbie

larsalan

drivers

http://www.ralinktech.com/

there are the alleged drivers

i am trying to use the same device and can only get scanning with it have not been able to connect to any access point yet.