Connecting Macbook 2Ghz to Sharp LCD TV problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrisjcom, Jan 3, 2009.

1. chrisjcom macrumors newbie

I tried connecting my MB with a sharp 45" LCD TV using a mini DVI cable and then DVI to DVI input on the TV, but I cannot get an image on the TV. My son connected a 5 year old work PC (company won't use Macs) via computer VGA to DVI on the TV and it was fine after some adjustment. Do I need to to get a DVI to MDMI to get the MB to work on the TV?

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Did you do detect displays?

3. chrisjcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Display detection

Yeah, I got display detection and a list of Hz options to choose from. I tried all options but no desktop showed.

It is an older model sharp, about the second generation LCD so could this be a problem. Can't see that it could be such a problem as the PC connected.

Thanks for your help on this one.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Hmm, how did your son connect vga -> dvi? Doesn't that require a pretty expensive adapter? Anyhow I'd definitely try a dvi -> hdmi adapter before giving up.

I use this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

5. chrisjcom thread starter macrumors newbie

After having read some other people's problems I went out and got a DVI to HDMI adaptor last night and it works.

I still can't get the TV to show the menu bar when it is connected, but I gather there must be some way to shrink the screen to see this? Also, can't get the TV to work as an independent display when the laptop is closed as I can when connecting to and I.O data display.

Thanks again for your help.

Also the adaptors for VGA to DVI was about the same cost as the DVI to HDMI cable. About $30 for a 3 meter or $20 for a 1 meter. I live in Japan so everything is available at the local electronics store.

6. Zemzem macrumors newbie

How to get the menu bar

Chrisj the solution is actually simple, close the lid on your macbook, then the screen will work just like it is your desktop. Now you will need a mouse and keyboard, but alas that is the only way to get it to act like an extra monitor, just set the macbook to sleep when you close the lid then plug in the mini-dvi and it should wake up the macbook on the screen.

A question for you, how is your resolution on the screen?