Connecting Macbook my TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freeloader, Feb 8, 2008.

1. freeloader macrumors newbie

I have a Philips TV

So i'm connecting it via a mini dvi>dvi to dvi>hdmi, so it connects fine the quality is awesome!

BUT the audio cable bit aint working. I bought a Jack to a RCA audio cable. Connected it and didnt work. :(
    I checked the manual for the TV and it says:
    PC equipped with DVI connector: connect the DVI>HDMI connectors to TV. Connect audio cable to the DIGITAL AUDIO IN connector of the TV.

And it shows a single audio cable. I tried out the RCA cable out cos i already bought it.

Do i need an optical audio cable instead??

This is stuff is getting me confused!

Can someone please help me! I would be forever grateful

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

your tv should have the standard three RCA inputs (red, white and yellow). are you putting the cables into these?

if you are, thats your problem. your tv should have a 'master' audio in at the back. they need to go in there and it should be fine. i've done this on my TV with a macbook with the same video and audio cables so i can vouch that it works.

3. freeloader thread starter macrumors newbie

no i'm using the 2 Plug one. its a red and white one and it still dont work...i'm going to try again and see if its the setting on the tv and stuff..it's really getting on my nevers. Everyone says to get the 2 plug RCA cable and i did and it tell you to to that on the philips support website, but it jus doesnt work!

4. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

it worked fine on mine so i presume it's TV related and nothing wrong with the macbook.

i presume it may be a problem with using HDMI. you're TV's probably the same as mine and has no DVI input (in fact my tv says 'HDMI/DVI') and because HDMI supports audio aswell, the TV may ignore all other inputs and presume any audio is coming from the HDMI input.

on another note, i bougth the mini jack to audio RCA cable from the apple store, then found one at home. i took it back and they said they accept open box returns, so if you can't get it to work and are worried about the amount of money you've spent then it's a little something nice to know.