Connecting Macbook Pro to 20" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMotif, Dec 23, 2008.

1. TheMotif macrumors member

What adapter or cables do I need to do this? My parents bought me the display as an early Christmas gift and I am looking forward to setting it up on Thursday morning, but I just learned I may need some peripherals for this to happen. I have a DVI to VGA adapter, but I doubt it will work because there is a DVI port on my MBP and only a DVI on the display.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So, what again was your problem? Just plug the freaking thing in! Plug the USB and FireWire in to use the ports on the monitor.

3. TheMotif thread starter macrumors member

So a cable comes in the box that goes directly from my Macbook to the display?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The cable is physically part of the display. It branches to power, DVI, USB, and FireWire.

5. TheMotif thread starter macrumors member

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No problem. Didn't think you didn't know that the cable was part of the display! :p Enjoy your present!

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The display has only DVI. Your computer has only DVI. Your thoughts: hmm I think I need some sort of an adapter. Huh? ;)

8. TheMotif thread starter macrumors member

Well, I had used the DVI to VGA adapter to connect the notebook to an ancient Acer monitor earlier this year, so I guess I was just making an incorrect assumption. Thanks again.

9. TheMotif thread starter macrumors member

Wait a minute. I can't believe I've been this ignorant after following Mac buzz for 16 months up until this past autumn... are they unleashing new cinema displays at Macworld? Should I even open this on Thursday morning?!

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Who knows? If they updated the displays the 20" would be like current 24" LED ACD with all its advantages (LED backlight, camera, speakers, potentionally improved panel) and disadvantages (Mini DisplayPort, glossy, no FireWire).

If I were you, I'd open the one you have and be happy :) It has an awesome panel, looks sweet, doesn't require any adapters and you can start enjoying it right away (There's no guarantee that MWSF will bring new models).

11. TheMotif thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for the confidence boost. I know it's a stretch, but wouldn't my display be eligible for Apple's 14-day product replacement policy for updates or price reductions? The display was bought on December 22 and Macworld commences exactly 14 days later on January 5? Couldn't I plead for mercy with an Apple Store sales rep?

12. the advisor macrumors member

er

Its unlikely.... Stick with the display you have it is amazing!

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Stick with it

Defiantly stick with the Cinema Display you have now. If you wait the 14 days (14 days staring at a MYSTERIOUS, BLACK Apple box for 2 weeks!!!:eek:) you may not even get to trade it in because the store won't have it for at least 2 days if Phil Schiller (no Steve:() says that they are shipping today. If you are like me and need FireWire then I would not even look at the new LED display. I can' how much Apple has screwed up the Cinema Displays. Everywhere you look in an Apple Store it's like an shiny room of disappearing FireWire ports. For the love of iPhones, APPLE: PLEASE REVIVE THE PORT YOU INVENTED!!!:mad: I like the MagSafe connector, mic, speaker, and Mini DisplayPort (if only there was a free DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter included) but the camera is stupid. How about just make both screens flash white for a "flash". Who needs two cameras at the same place. If the display was made "precisely for the new MacBooks" then it wouldn't need another camera. Right? But 4 cables is way to many to have right?? :confused: