Connecting Macbook Pro to a Dell 8400

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by primusrocks, Jul 5, 2007.

1. primusrocks macrumors newbie

primusrocks

I just got a new macbook pro and im having some difficulties transfering files from my old Dell Dimension 8400 to my macbook pro. When i put my music or pictures on cds they wont read on the mbp and when i try to hook the two up between an ethernet cord i cant get them to recognize each other. I have looked up some directions but i can finds anything helpful. If someone could give me some direction on this it would be so awesome.

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

What do you mean the CDs won't read? What happens when you insert them? Do other discs work properly?

(I wrote a long winded explanation on how to do this over the ethernet cable, but I think solving the CD issue would be easier for everyone.)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could use an external hard drive to get the data from the Dell to the MacBook pro.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Great idea. My next question was going to be wether or not he had an iPod..

BTW: Apple has tutorials for transferring using your iPod or a network.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/

5. primusrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

primusrocks

Well i dont have an external hard drive, and the only ipod that i have is a shuffle so im not sure if that would be very time efficient. To answer the question about the cds. I burn them and they can read on the Dell but when i put them into the MBP the cd spins for a couple of min and then it just spits it right back out?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe the reason the CDs can't be read on the MBP is because you forgot to "finalize" them in your disc burning program. Leaving the session open allows you to add to the disc later, but usually prevents other computers from reading it.