Connecting MacBook Pro to Dell w3201c HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maybeangel, Oct 15, 2013.

1. maybeangel macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a fairly old Dell W3201C, and I would really like to connect my MBP to the TV via a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. But something isn't working!

Everything is set up correctly - my computer recognizes the TV, and lists resolution options for the TV under Displays, and gives me the option to send audio to the TV. I am certain that the cable works. I am certain that the TV is on the correct input. I am certain that the HDMI port on the computer works.

I wonder if the problem might be the resolution? I think it needs to be 1080something? 1080i and 1080i (PAL) show up, but I still have a black screen when I select either of them and the TV reverts to the original settings. There is no option to select 1080p, is that my problem?

I tried turning on mirroring, and it seems like I am able to select and confirm 1080i there, but still the TV stays black.

I had this working in the past and am frustrated that I can't remember how to do it! I recall that it required a lot of research, and I'm fairly sure it was a setting on my computer that finally got things working. I would be very grateful for any help!!!

(And apologies if this issue is addressed elsewhere - I searched but found nothing!)

2. maybeangel thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, just kidding... It just worked for about three glorious seconds, then I bumped my computer and it went black again. But, I tried two different cables, one with a fairly new Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor and a normal HDMI cable, and one long Mini to HDMI cable... I wonder if the problem is actually the Thunderbolt port on my computer?? That would make me very sad.

Still would love input if anyone has suggestions.

3. maybeangel thread starter macrumors newbie

And yes, I realize that this won't even matter in like 8 days after Mavericks comes out, because I can just use the Apple TV. It has become more of an intellectual challenge at this point - woman versus machine!! :)