Connecting MacBook Pro to External Display Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minimoose 360, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Quick problem I have for you. I have a presentation tomorrow and need to hook up my MBP to the projector in class. I bought an Apple Mini Displayport to DVI cable, and a DVI to DVI cable. I thought this would be the case, but come to find out the system does not support DVI. So I had to run to Best buy to get a DVI to VGA cable.

I tried out the MDP > DVI > VGA rig on my external monitor and got nothing. The screen on my MBP responded by turning blue for a second and then back to normal...but the monitor said "No Signal".

Is this some jargon with DVI-D and DVI-I???

Picture of cable:

[​IMG]

Responses are appreciated because I need to know by tomorrow morning if I have to run back to the Apple Store and get a Mini Displayport to VGA cable.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think you can do mini display to dvi to vga. I think something would be lost in translation. Can you find a mini display port to vga?

Thanks to Apple for moving away from something that is used by numerous projectors and similar devices but what are you using that is not supporting at least DVI?

check monoprice and see if there is a mini display to vga, but you won't be getting it tomorrow, sadly.

3. Minimoose 360 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Thanks for the speedy response. The Apple Store had Mini Displayport to VGA in stock, but I bought the Mini DisplayPort to DVI thinking the projector would support it. I also just found that out for myself that it isn't backwards compatible.

Damn Apple for making the cable DVI-D only, damn my school for only using VGA. Damn the industry for having too many display standards.

/thread

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL I agree. Glad Apple has what you need. It's just silly though.

5. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

the only whack thing is that the DVI adapter is soooooo short...does apple expect us to sit like 1 inch away from our TV"s?!

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I always carry my own VGA - VGA cable with me, since the Mini-Display to VGA adapter is like "mini-me" all over again...:(

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wouldn't life be easier if there was only ONE type of display connection?:D

8. Furiousd37 macrumors newbie

No signal.

I'm having this same problem but with apples dvi to vga adapter connected to a vga cable. I'm trying to connect it to an 22" acer h233h monitor. It worked fine for awhile and it has just stopped.

If it helps, I switched back and forth between and LG 47" tv that had even more issues.

Help would be appreciated