Connecting MacBook Pro To HDMII TV

Jonah71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, I done some research on trying to connect a MBP to a HDMI TV. But I am a bit confused which cables I need to buy.

Some people say you need to buy one or some say you need to buy two, my MacBook Pro is:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Version: 10.7.3

I hope anyone can help, sorry just so stuck on what to do

Last edited:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am from uk, so the cables will be the same from the USA?
Yes, you just need to find a shop, that sells such cables in the UK, like probably many do. The Apple Store for example, though it will be more expensive than the Monoprice one.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I am from uk, so the cables will be the same from the USA?
monoprice shipped to me in Canada they may ship to the UK, OP have a looks but it might be cheaper to find it local not sure what shipping would be if they offer it

EDIT
yup they do ship to the UK

OP punch in your postal code to see what shipping is

http://www.monoprice.com/products/cart.asp
than you can have a cost to compare with local shops/websites