connecting macbook pro to HDTV (Mini Dvi to hdmi cable)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whiteman007, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Whiteman007 macrumors member

2. efedor macrumors regular

Congratulation on your Mac purchase, I have never used such cable but I would say that It would work. What would'nt work in my opinion is the sound, Unless you have a Bose system and get the sound thru your usb or use the more traditional way and use the headphone input.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I thought the Macbook Pros had full sized DVI ports, no?

EDIT - I just checked. The older MBPs have standard DVI ports. The new MBPs have a miniDisplayPort.

The adapter you linked is for the plastic Macbooks, not the MBP.

You'll either need a standard DVI-HDMI adapter or a miniDisplayPort-DVI adapter plus a DVI-HDMI adapter ... depending on which MBP model you have.

Keep in mind, there are different flavors of DVI (i.e. DVI-A, DVI-D, and DVI-I). Make sure you get the right one .. might be moot if the MBP had a DVI-I port.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You certainly won't get sound: there is no sound output over DVI at all.

5. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Might have some overscan issues too, but is OK

I have a Mac (desktop not notebook) connected to my 58" Panny Plasma via DVI to HDMI. Picture is great, but getting the picture exactly centered has been a challenge. I am using the 8800GT video card. The four corners overflow a bit so the Apple logo is obscured a tad, the menus are obscured a tad, etc... Right now, the Macs lack a way to control over/underscan out of the box. I left mine alone as I didn't want to invest lots of time and/or money to fix it. Playing Netflix or DVD's looks great!
    As for the sound, you are correct that no sound will come over the HDMI especially since it is really DVI to HDMI. DVI is not typically wired for sound. Only some video card makers do that and then you have to use their specific DVI to HDMI dongle.
    Let us know how your efforts go.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not exactly true. Macs have an "overscan" check box in the Display System Preference that can help with overscan, but it's limited compared to some 3rd party applications.

The main thing to be sure of is to get a TV that supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

A TV with 1:1 plus OS X can display a perfect desktop with zero over/underscan.

ft

7. Abernathy macrumors newbie

Actually, there is a large number of Mac users out there missing the Options section in Display Preferences. I'm one of them. A little over a month ago, that options section completely disappeared. I searched all over this forum and the Apple Discussions and found people with the same problem as me, but no solution!

If anyone has a found a solution, please post.