connecting macbook pro to sony bravia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wanaka, Dec 14, 2008.

1. wanaka macrumors newbie

I used a DVI-A to VGA Adaptor connected to an XVGA Monitor Cable to connect my laptop to my Sony Bravia LCD TV but the only response I got was my desktop photo from my laptop displaying on the tv. I'm hoping there's a way to use my computer through the tv. any suggestions?:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you try moving your cursor over there? Are you mirroring displays? Do you know where the TV places itself in virtual relation to your MacBook Pro screen?

3. Soat macrumors newbie

This is your problem; OS X's default setup for multiple monitors is to give you additional desktop space on Display 2.

1.Go to System Preferences -> Displays, second tab has a checkbox at the bottom for "Mirror Display". This puts your desktop on both screens.

2. [On the same tab] If you want the Bravia to be your main display and your MBP screen to be secondary, drag the small white menubar from Display 1 to Display 2.

3. If you want JUST the Bravia as a display, plug a keyboard, mouse, and power into your MBP, shut the lid, let it go to sleep, then wake your MBP back up by hitting a key on the keyboard. This puts it in clamshell mode and uses your external as the only monitor.

Edit: If you dont want to go to clamshell mode, use step 2 and dim your MBP's screen until it goes dark. I usually set up like this if I want to watch a movie on my TV and don't want to move everything off my desk to the living room. Eat your heart out, Apple TV! :D

4. wanaka thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, it worked! thanks so much!!!

hey, thanks it worked

5. wanaka thread starter macrumors newbie

how can i get the sound to come through the tv?

OK, I now have the images all coming through and can use my tv as a monitor but I don't have sound coming through the tv. I tried listening to my itunes but the sound only comes out of the mbp.

6. wanaka thread starter macrumors newbie

This worked for me and now I can view my computer screen through the tv. I had another problem which is not being able to get sound. I plugged into the headphone jack in my MCP and connected that to the tv but I'm not sure which inlet to use in the tv. I have a red and white plugs coming from the end of the wire I plugged into my MCP headphone jack. I'm trying to allow itunes to play through the tv cuz it would be good to view iphotos with the sound I have in itunes. any suggestions? thanks again for helping me to connect the MCP to my Sony Bravia!

7. Parkinson macrumors newbie

Powerbook to Bravia

Have a 12" G4 powerbook, VGA adapter, vga cable and Bravia KDL32XBR6
    Using the remote on the TV, the onscreen item PC is greyed out and you can't select it. Doesn't matter what combination of which device turned on first, or connected etc.
    Connecting the Bravia via the same VGA cable to a EEEPC running the default Xandros OS, it works fine, and looks great.

The Powerbook thinks there is a connection, so if you select mirror displays,
    you see a SonyTV, and if you turn off mirroring, you can slide the mouse off the screen to where the computer thinks the tv monitor is--rearranging the relationship between screens changes which side "connects" the two screens.

Plugging the vga cable into a powered off EEE PC makes the PC option on the TV become "live" Then use the remote to select the PC as input, then plug the vga cable back into the Powerbook, and the screen shows the mac screen at 1980x1080.

Maybe there is some grounding issue on the dvi-vga adapter, since the cable by itself works fine on the EEE PC

8. rlinsurf macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue here. I have a MacBook (White early 2009) connected to a Mini-Dvi to VGA connector to the PC Input.

In my case, unfortunately (fortunately?), I don't have a PC to test with, but even with the the VGA cable connected to the PC Input on the set, and disconnected on the other end, which Sony seems to believe should make the input available, it continues to be grayed out.

However, I distrust this as being accurate information, and think the problem is in fact some incompatibility between Mac's and this model Sony.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Maybe we should get the word out.

Also, anyone have a problem using a Mini-DVI-to-DVI-to-HDMI set of connections to one of those inputs? That's my next try.