Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robpom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I am trying to hook my Macbook Pro up to my HDTV. I have the DVI to HDMI cable which I am guessing is what I need to hook up the video portion.

What do I need for the audio portion?

Thanks,

Robert P

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
You have exactly two choices.

Your macbook has an 1/8" minijack output, you can use a standard 1/8" to RCA cable and run analog audio to the standard white/red inputs to your TV.

It also has a neat trick where they pack an optical audio output in there too, but with a weird connector. Go buy an TOSLINK Optical to "Apple optical" (I'm not sure what they call it) and you could run digital audio to your TV.

I'm assuming your TV has an optical input, it most certainly has the standard RCA plugs.

That is all the options :)

Mr. Clean

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Sunny San Diego
You are not getting audio because DVI does not export sound, so when it gets converted to HDMI (which does carry sound), it doesn't matter as there is no sound to convert.

Like mentioned above, you can get a 1/8 to RCA cable (Cheap),
or one of these http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=374 along with an optical cable to plug in.

Are you saying that the 1/8 mini jack has an optical jack inside of it?????. If so that is way cool and something that I did not know. Will this allow you to have 5.1 surround sound?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Yea all macs have optical out (mac pro is toslink though), you just change it in audio settings to tell it to output audio, and also if I remember right a little led is outside to tell you it is using optical or something along those lines, I cant remember.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Just to be clear, we are talking about the ear phone jack on the side of the MBP????

Crazy huh? :) I was a bit shocked myself as I've never heard of any other company doing something like that.

It's pretty nifty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.