Connecting MacBook Pro to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by handslikesecret, Feb 11, 2012.

1. handslikesecret macrumors newbie

I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro that I purchased brand new about 8 months ago. I want to plug it into my TV so I can watch Netflix, which streams to my laptop, on the TV.
    What kind of adapter do I need? My apologies for my ignorance, I know nothing about these things. Thanks!

2. Roadlawyer macrumors newbie

So how do you get it to stream?

I followed the directions, have a working connection between my MacBook and my TV, but I can't figure out how to get it to stream. Do I need an intermediate device like an AppleTV or a Roku?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

What do you mean you can't get it to stream? If your two devices are plugged in properly you should be seeing an image on the TV, I'm not sure I understand your question.

4. Roadlawyer macrumors newbie

I get the blue photo and when I go to system preferences/display, that is mirrored on the TV, but I can't get it to stream something that is playing on my computer. In this case, a program recorded from USTVnow.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need to move the video to the external screen(in this case, the TV) by dragging and dropping it there, then hit the full screen button. You can see where the screen is "located" by going into system preferences' "displays" pane where it will show the arrangement.

Or, if you're using something like MPlayerX or VLC, set the full screen device to the TV in the video settings then hit full screen.

6. Roadlawyer macrumors newbie