Connecting Macbook pro to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by banksy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. banksy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I have a macbook pro and am looking to connect it to my tv, and it as a pc import.
    Bit of a noob question but I have read thru other threads but cannot find what i am looking for,
    I have the apple cable 'dvi to vga adapter' - found here:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M8754G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

can anybody tell me what cable i need to put into that cable so that i connect it my tv. The port on the tv looks similar to the one on the end of the adapter i have.
    Many thanks in advance
    Jack

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It depends on the TV. You might want to list your TV model and find the TV specs.

3. jsbarone macrumors regular

It depends on what revision Macbook Pro you have. The most recent one switched to a mini display port, so you'll need the custom adapter from the Apple Store if you want to connect to an external source. It also depends on what input sources your TV has. If it's an HDTV it probably has a few HDMI ports. If that's the case, go to Monoprice.com and buy a DVI to HDMI cable, couple it with the adapter from the Apple Store and you're good to go. If you don't have a current gen MBP, all you need is the cable.

Also, if you want audio you'll need a cable for that too. On my Panasonic HDTV I use a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable and couple it with a male RCA to female 3.5mm stereo adapter and hook that up to the back of my TV, using the RCA ports as the audio source.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Ideally if you're connecting to an HDTV, use HDMI. This three meter cable is a good value.

If your only free port on the television is VGA, this three meter cable is a good value.

You'll also want an audio cable... if you have surround sound, you can use the optical output from your mac with a cable like this.

Otherwise, RCA splitter for the audio.